Thursday, January 20, 2011

Super Bowl Snacks I


I thought I'd spend the next couple posts on game day snacks. I've found some gems on other blogs I've been wanting to tell you about (in case you missed them), another oldie but goodie and one I found in Donna Hay magazine. I think you'll like all of them. Let's start this week with the two I discovered on other blogs.


When you're asked to bring an appetizer to someone's house to watch the game or if you're hosting your own party, what could be better than pizza? Better yet, in mouthful size. No mess, no fuss. Easy to take on the road too. They sure aren't
 healthy veggie type appetizers, but this is a killer recipe and they're always a smash hit at my house. Cathy from Noble Pig posted them a while back. I tried them out on my son right after I read her post. He practically inhaled them. These will be gone in a flash so make plenty.

Pepperoni Pizza Puffs

From Noble Pig


 Ingredients:

3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup whole milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
4 ounces pepperoni, cut into small cubes (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup pizza sauce
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 24-cup mini muffin pan.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder; whisk in the milk and egg.  Stir in the mozzarella and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.

Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups.  Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through, then stir in 1 Tablespoon basil.  Sprinkle the puffs with the remaining 1 Tablespoon basil.  Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping. Makes 24 mini puffs.
                                                    


For the second Super Bowl snack, I'll turn to Wanda from The Teacher Cooks. She posted these a few weeks ago. Wowza! I like that you can choose your own sausage: hot, sweet, spicy or mixed. And you can add even more heat by using some hot sauce.


Sausage and Cheese Balls

From The Teacher Cooks


Ingredients: 
1 lb. sausage, your choice  ( allow it to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes)

12 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
3 cups Bisquick
1/2 teaspoon red pepper or hot sauce , optional

Method: 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix finely grated cheese, sausage, and 1/2 cup of the Bisquick with a wooden spoon. (I had much better luck using my hands.)  This takes patience.  As the Bisquick is worked in with the sausage and cheese, add the rest 1/2 cup at a time until it is finally all worked in.
Roll about a tablespoon or so in the palm of your hand.   
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for about 20 minutes. 
Makes about 3 dozen sausage and cheese balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment