Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Ilikai Tea Dance

Wow, this has been a day. Wednesday, March 2nd. Things going smoothly for most of the day. Got ready in time but then the C bus had two bikes on two bike rack. Tough.  Went back home and waited.

"Do not try to live for ever. You will not succeed."

Got the next C bus, and I am now convinced, I cannot work on the computer on that bus. Listening to music is just fine if I can get it to do. Unfortunately, it bumps so much I cannot even get the music. So now I know, that if it is just music, it must be some other way.

But I got to Ala Moana Center at about 7:15 and I biked it over to the Ilikai. Had to look around to find the place and ran into Angie and she was also looking. Together we found it easily enough

Beautiful place, a little too lit up of course but nice. Calvin gave a terrific description on his last blog and it is still very nice with some improvements in process. Terrific bunch of people, not the ordinary run of the mill "ballroom dancers." Anyway, it looks like it could develop into real social kine dancers.

No offense to the competition dancers, they have their kick. Would you please allow us our kick. This is looking like "Da Reel Teeng." I found the bar and got me an R & C. Six dollars, not bad.

Found a table with Debra and Calvin Ota where I could cool it, together with my drink. Debra was so nice to introduce me to Sharon Liu, the DJ, and head honcho for the entire enchilada. I got my first photo shortly after.


Keiko, Titi, Sharon (DJ, Professional Dancer, Teacher) and the famous Gayle

This is definitely a different crowd that could be nurtured into a fine group of social dancers. As long as you can give them what they want, yes, they would be willing to pay. They must be careful of the "seat controllers. Rumours is well aware that they are the ones that ran Rumours Ballroom dancing into the ground.

"Call Me" by Aretha Franklin

Gravitated around with a few dances here and there. Then met three of the regulars on one wall, I asked that when we had four I could get a photo. They got the guy sitting a few chairs down. Terrific.

Romie Amian, Deanie Bates (Aiea Ballroom) Fri 4/22 and
Anni 5/28, Carolyn Nash (Swing Dance Club of Hawaii) Sun 3/6,
and the fabulous Beverly Mau.

Then, I had to get a photo of the people that are really helping to get something going for the social dancers. Debra and Calvin. And now I took a good look at their dancing in regular clothing and mixed with all the others. Wow, I realized that these people really know how to dance. Very pleasant conclusion. Naturally I had to get a photo of my table people.

Debra Ota, Aimi Oswalt, Ivan John, Calvin Ota, June Choong and Jackson Cho.

Elvie and Fil Padilla
Had to get a photo of a couple of the best dancers in the group, my good friends Fil and Elvie Padilla. I see them everywhere, so it is about time.

Having such a good time, I didn't notice the time was 10 minutes to nine. The 40 bus leaves Ala Moana at 9:00. By the time I got downstairs and unlocked the bike it was six minutes to nine. But I got to take it easy anyway.

I thought it better if I head the bus off at the pass, on Ala Moana Blvd. But then the E bus got there and I got on that going to Waipahu on the Freeway.

Sure enough the 40 bus that left at Ala Moana at 8:30 got to the Waipahu Transit station a few minutes later and I was home by 10:30. Not bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment