Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Waffles!

I have been meaning to try this recipe for ages (you are all proabably way ahead of me on this), but because my kids are grown, I don't make waffles very often. I had the chance a while back and jumped all over it.

When I used to make waffles, I always depended on my mother's waffle recipe. It was excellent, everyone was happy, so why look further? But when I started blogging, I kept running across a recipe for raised waffles by Marion Cunningham. Cunningham is an award-winning food writer and prolific cookbook author. I read about her waffles first on David Lebovitz's blog, then on Orangette  (Who, by the way, didn't like them!). I think you'll enjoy reading David's article if you have time.

The idea sounded great to me for two reasons: 1) I love yeast-based pancakes so why wouldn't I love raised waffles? and 2) you do all the work the night before so it's perfect when you have guests.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, these were delicious! I'm throwing Mother's recipe away; that's how good these were. Marion's are light as a feather with a very slight yeasty taste which I love. And if I hadn't told my guests they were raised waffles, they would never have known. (Well, they put butter and maple syrup on them before tasting and I tasted them plain before garnishing!) Such a morning time-saver to throw them together the night before and let them do their magic while you sleep! And it IS magic.


Marion Cunningham's Raised Waffles


Ingredients:

1/2 cup warm water
1 package dried yeast
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Method:

Use a  large bowl; the batter will rise to double its original volume.
Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand to dissolve for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour to the yeast mixture and beat until smooth and blended.

Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.
This  is what it looked like when I got up (you can see how much it raised during the night and then fell a little):


Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda , and stir until well mixed. The batter will be very thin.
 

Pour about 1/2-3/4  cup batter into a very hot waffle iron. Bake until golden and crisp. This batter will keep for several days in the refrigerator.


Look at this texture!

No comments:

Post a Comment