Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Another savory Galette...


My favorite dinner in the summer has always been a tossed salad, grilled steak or chicken and a baked potato. Of course, the potato part varies and often we serve a veggie dish of some kind. So I was overjoyed to run across this recipe in Donna Hay's 50th Birthday Issue. I love this magazine! I took a subscription, finally, and it was the nicest gift I've given myself in ages!

Is this the perfect recipe to serve with steak or what? Kind of a potato/onion upside down cake tart! And with my favorite Gruyère too. I love the way the onions cook at the bottom so when you turn it out, they are all caramelized and sit on top like pieces of fruit. And those crunchy potatoes. Don't you want to just pick them right out of the photo? This was such a fabulous side dish, I can't wait to make it again. Do I really need to say any more?  Look at that photo! You gotta love it.

Potato, Onion and Gruyère Galette
Donna Hay's 50th Anniversary Issue


 
Ingredients:

2 1/2 tablespoons butter
12 sprigs thyme
1 large onion, sliced somewhat thickly ( a tad more than 1/4 inch thick)
3/4 t0 1 lb. waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin)
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup grated gruyère
1 cup grated mozzarella
sea salt and cracked black pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 400°. Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Add the thyme and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Place the potato, oil, Gruyère, mozzarella, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine.
Top the onion with the potato mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn upside down to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment