Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Maple Scones


When I start seeing pumpkin and maple recipes I know fall has arrived. In Florida, it's difficult to tell. We'll have heat for another couple months yet. A cold front is suppposed to go through soon (which in South Florida-speak means the temps will lower from 90 to 84.) but still, I'm in fall mode, just reading what all of you are posting.

I adore scones. All kinds, all flavors and make them all the time. This recipe, found on Luisa's blog, is a winner. Love that maple flavor with the pecans. Sheer heaven with a little butter OR if you happen to have some, my father's favorite: maple cream. Luisa made them pie-shaped. I just used my biscuit cutter. Your choice.

Samuel Sewall Inn's Maple Scones
Via Luisa at The Wednesday Chef




Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (I used pecans)
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk or as needed

Method:


Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine both flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, or two knives scissor-fashion, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.

Add nuts. Stir in the maple syrup and egg and just enough milk so that dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball. Turn dough onto Silpat-lined baking sheet (I used parchment paper) and pat (with floured hands) into an 8-inch disk; cut into wedges, but do not separate.


Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Immediately remove from baking sheet and carefully separate. Serve warm. Makes 8 scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment