Sunday, July 24, 2011

From Da Spin Doctor Direct

First, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble you endured to come to the Elks.  Wow!  Second, thank you for all the publicity on your Blog.  Third, thank you for taking the photos!  I simply can't thank you enough and to tell you how appreciative we are!
"Do you see difficulty in every opportunity, or
do you see an opportunity in every difficulty."

Candy and Husband
Yes, please do whatever you feel is appropriate for your blog.  I have to be a bit careful to not have more than thirty "guests" because the Elks is very sensitive to the room capacity being about fifty people - but that is without any dance floor.  We had about 30 folks total on Tuesday, and that seemed to work out just about right.  But, we also had 10 "no shows" who signed up but didn't come.

So, I think we can handle about 5 to ten more folks.  If you could mention again that anyone who wants to come should email me at spindoctordj@aol.com, not telephone.  I am pretty busy with our regular clients and I can't jam up our phone too much without losing business to my competitors.

Again, thank you for all the kind words on your blog.

"I Can Dream, Can' I?" by the Andrews Sisters

I am doing this strictly for fun. At most of our shows the playlist is dictated by the clients. I wanted to do a show where I could select my own music and also take requests and dedications from the dancers. What I have envisioned is something like the old Dick Clark "American Bandstand" show, or an old school sock hop.

There are at least 25 mobile DJs on Oahu, but none are specializing in oldies. Most DJs play hateful cop killer rap and hip hop with filthy lyrics, which I refuse to do. Call me "old school" but I like music that makes me feel good, not violent or mean.

And, sometimes I actually like to affectionately touch (not grind) my dance partner. So, we have a very unique and specific audience. Our music is from the 1940's to 1970's and ends around the disco era. Our audience is similar to those who love Tom Moffitt's Saturday morning shows.

"Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes" by Perry Como

We are usually heavily booked most weekends, so I can only do this during the weekdays. If this is a "hit" then I intend to approach the St. Louis Alum club, and maybe a few other appropriate venues that have free parking and a good dance floor with lots of room. I am searching for venues that have a nice (not "industrial") atmosphere. A place like Honey's in Kailua would be ideal.

Of course I can't afford to continue to do this for free, but first things first - we must develop a large loyal following. While we have several repeat party customers, people don't get married too frequently, so it's difficult to develop a following from weddings, which is the bulk of our bookings.

"Music, Music, Music" by Theresa Brewer

Also, we just purchased a KILLER sound system from Bose professional, and I would like to host a few more free events where I can showcase this fabulous sound system and some of our new tech lighting to potential paying clients.

Mahalo, and Aloha!
Professor Bob, Da Spin Doctor
http://www.daspindoctor.vpweb.com/
808-271-4493

Pub's Note: And the first real Tea Dance on the Island of Oahu is closer and may be within striking distance soon. Yes, I can hear it. "Nevah gonna happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment