Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pastry Studio's Lemon Almond Ice Cream


Pastry Studio is one of my favorite blogs. Every recipe is original, beautifully presented, unusual and delicious. All her ice creams are truly special and this particular one is tart and refreshing. I love citrus flavors in the summer, don't you?
Quite surprisingly, this ice cream is made without eggs. While you do need an ice cream maker, this is the simplest ice cream I think I've ever made. You'll find 1/2 teaspoon almond extract is just about right. I love toasted almonds too, so I sprinkled the ice cream with even more before serving.


Lemon Almond Ice Cream
From Pastry Studio


Ingredients:

1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup + 2 T sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (I used 2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon good quality almond extract, to taste
good pinch of salt, to taste
1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds

Method:
Whisk together all the ingredients except the almonds. Refrigerate the mixture overnight to chill thoroughly.
Toast the sliced almonds in a single layer in a 350 degree oven for about 6 to 8 minutes. 
Churn the ice cream base in your ice cream machine. Fold in the toasted almonds. Pour into 
a container, top with plastic wrap, cover securely and place in your freezer. Makes 1 1/2 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment