Friday, April 16, 2010

A Quickie

The Kitchen Witch always calls this kind of recipe "White Trash Motherlode", which I think means some of our really old recipes using a can of Campbell's soup... or any of those 50's and 60's type dishes we remember from childhood.  That doesn't mean it isn't delicious, just that it isn't exactly a garden fresh, healthy, I'm-on-a-diet kind of food.

My kids used to love this one, another of the recipes from that cooking contest I told you about when I posted the Mustard Ring. Unfortunately, I lost the card this one came on so can't give you the cook's name, but I know she will forgive me. (If she ever reads this, which I doubt.) This one did NOT win a prize- it's just not unusual or complicated enough, but it's the kind of recipe I loved when I had 3 kids all a year apart to deal with. With everyone going in a different direction, it was hard to come up with something that could be made quickly and in advance, baked slowly and it could sit in the oven for late arrivals. And....everyone liked it.

It's an easy peasy recipe. Just throw it all together and dump it in a casserole. It bakes for quite a while and gets all nice and crunchy. One of those casseroles you like to scrape the empty dish to make certain you got all the good stuff. I know it's naughty of me to post this when bathing suit weather is coming for most of us, but I'm willing to bet we've got some cold weather coming yet and this recipe will warm you up! Just make a fresh salad and veggie (so you feel self righteous) and you've got dinner!
 

Veal and Sour Cream Casserole


Ingredients:
2 pounds veal cut in chunks
1 large onion, sliced
2 tablespoons crisco
2 cups wide noodles, cooked
1 can mushroom soup, undiluted
1 pint sour cream

Method:
Brown veal and onion in Crisco. Add cooked noodles to meat and then add the soup and sour cream. Place in casserole and bake 2 hours at 300°.


No comments:

Post a Comment