Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Confessions of a Cupcake Stalker

I'm mildly stalking a vegan cupcakery Sweet Avenue Bake Shop. I read their blog, their twitter page, and spend at least a few minutes of each day (mostly in my cubicle) dreaming of feasting on one of their cruelty-free creations.

How can a girl concentrate on work when subjected to punishing images like this?

They've teased me with their photos of a different tea-infused cupcake each week in anticipation of the Alice in Wonderland movie. Tea and cupcakes, two of my favorite things, merged into one? Mmmm. I've salivated from afar over Blueberry Earl Grey Tea, Darjeeling Orange Blossom, and this week's Raspberry White Tea.

And now this! Only available Wednesday and Friday when I'm at work, what a cruel joke life is. Photos courtesy of my love, Sweet Avenue.


Veganize Irish Whiskey Cake at home.

But I digress. When reading their Twitter page I learned Whole Foods in Paramus now has a breakfast panini with soy sausage and Daiya cheese. See, their twitter page is educational. Right? Right?

I still had some money on a gift card. Why? Another check your receipts lesson. I was overcharged a while back on a Preserve razor and replacement blades, and when I brought it to their attention, I got both items for free! A $16 value total.

Here, alas, is the delicious panini, $4.99. The sausage tasted like the Litelife Gimme Lean Sausage I buy at Trader Joe's, but I'm not certain.

And the Daiya cheese. The prices ranged from $4 to $6. Pricey, but still a niche market. I don't love most vegan cheeses, but this is one of the better ones I've tried so far.

Also on their vegan menu: a grilled cheese ($3.99) and a tempeh reuben with sauerkraut, cheese, and a creamy dressing ($4.99). In the mood for a reuben? When visiting Farm Sanctuary, I adored the apple reuben I had at the Grist Mill Cafe. Recreate it at home with vegan thousand island dressing.

And with that, I say sweet cupcake dreams to all, and to all, a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment