Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Can't Believe It's Vegan: Chocolate Cake Edition

It was hard to top the vegan lemon blueberry cake, but co-worker extraordinaire Kathy outdid herself with this vegan Mexican chocolate cake from RecipeZaar at our Tuesday tea breaks.

After most of the day in my cramped cubicle (doesn't working in New York City sound glamorous?), a cup of tea (I went for Tazo's Awake this time) and a slice of cake lifted the spirits.


Non-vegan crumb cake was also offered. Veganize it with help from VeganYumYum.

I cannot imagine my life without something a little sweet. I have no desire to a) be a size 2, b) live to be 110, or c) deprive myself of one of life's greatest pleasures – soul-nourishing food.

I go back to what Michael Pollen said about the French associating chocolate cake with celebration and Americans associating it with guilt. I guess I'm a Frenchie at heart.

Find vegan baking tips at Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale, including endless recipe ideas. It often just involves a few swap-outs and ta-dah...it's vegan.

Vegan has a stigma. It shouldn't. Eggs from chickens in battery cages don't seem to have a stigma. Those should. Eggs should not cost 99 cents a carton (that's 8.25 cents per egg). Those low prices come at a very high cost to living, sentient beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment