Saturday, January 1, 2011

HBDA New Year's Eve Ball

Easy day and I left just after seven and the bus came either early or late. Couldn't get the music going so I shut it all up. I got to Ala Moana Center before 8:30. A short ride to Walgreens and I got the batteries. Then a short ride and got the bike on the B bus for Waikiki.  Tested and it was the batteries.  But I got to the Reception desk of HBDA before nine PM.


Everybody was at the function inside, I guess there was no further need at the Reception table. It looked beautiful, seeing old friends and also many new faces. Everyone wishing everyone a Happy New Year and why not?

Got my first Rum & Coke of the evening, from Wes, naturally and that old familiar feeling started to permeate through me. Everyone looked happy. Doesn't anyone know how to frown? I guess not.

Since I couldn't get the Reception desk I had to get the first one from the nice people in the crowd. And first was the chance to get my long time friend Anna Kuo in. I wonder if Lynn is related to her.

Albert Lui, Steve and Grace Tong, Julia Chang, Lynn Kuo,
Anna Kuo, Cho On Chang, Monique and Jeffrey Chang.

Went around slowly, saying hello and Happy New Year to so many good friends, and cased the joint for the next photo. My good friends from the Moanalua Corridor were next and the lovely Eileen is always helpful.

Seated: Ron Matsuura, Emi Rebuldela, Steve Oshiro,
Michelle Tempo, and Nancy Tempo. Standing: Jan Matsuura,
Jaime Rebuldela, Eileen Nakano, Nobuku Oshiro and Sharon Kim.

Got another donated Rum & Coke and went around my merry way, dancing a few now and then and giving away some of my key chain light advertising. Then came across more people from the Moanalua Corridor.

 Seated: Franklin and Ann Lopez, Bill and Gloria Klein
and Justine Riley. Standing: Jos Ichiberi, Marcy, Perfecto
and Maybel Cortez and Yvonne Chance.

Got a chance to see some nice exhibitions and of course, I couldn't miss those outstandingly terrific demonstrations by Paul and Marie Laderta and later by Vince De Bina and Aurora Saulo. I am prejudiced? Probably. But then I came across Mark and Patty Dela Cruz (she teaches at Kapolei High School) more Westerners for photo.

 Seated: John Ramos, Mark and Patty Dela Cruz, Margaret
and Carl Berger. Standing: Joe and Janet Simpliciano,
Colleen Miller, Conrad Feltro and Diane Ramos.

Forgot to get some quotes from friends, but I will learn. Danced a few, and though HBDA had a good program it was just a little too structured for adults. Specially these people, who are dancers and they want to dance. Anyway I had my usual Mambo with Noreen and a got a photo at their table.

Left to right: Ben Ho, Jan Itsuno, Eugene Higa, Greg
and Danny Carrion, Noreen Ho and Mike Corbett

By that time I was on my third Rum & Coke and I was beginning to feel it. I had to plan on leaving. But I had to get a shot of the beautiful crowd of the line dancing. Probably the biggest line dancing group on this Island.

As per usual, HBDA has more men line dancers than even the
Line Dance Clubs themselves. And they will be getting more too.

I left a full hour earlier than originally planned.  Got the bike on the first bus going to town (#13.) Biked a short way to Ala Moana Center and got the bike on the #40 bus going to Nanakuli.  Nice music and sip, sip, sip. I got home before 1;00 AM and in no condition to walk, so I rode the bike home.

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." ~ Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment